Monterosso and the Cinque Terre
Monterosso, the largest village of the Cinque Terre
Monterosso al Mare is the largest village of the Cinque Terre and also the first to be documented (1056).
Consisting of two districts, the old village and Fegina, Monterosso al Mare also owns important monuments. Amongst these are the XIV century church of San Giovanni Battista (St. John the Baptist), in front of which rose the Medieval Palazzo del Podestà, of which remain some traces. Of great importance, on the Hill of Cappuccini, rise the Castello dei Fieschi (Castle of Fieschis) and the Monastero di San Francesco (Convent of St. Francis), which contains works of art of unestimable value amongst which pictures attributed to Van Dick, Cambiaso, Piola and Guido Reni.
Villa Montale can be found at Fegina, where stayed Eugenio Montale, the Nobel prize winner for Literature, and where the Gigante (Giant) is located, an imposing statue in reinforced cement built at the beginning of 1900 which originally held up a terrace in the shape of a shell.
For more information: